- The Great Wall of China is a territorial wall that was built around the Chinese states to protect China and prevent the invasion of other tribes.
- It was built across the northern borders of the ancient Chinese states.
- The majority of the wall was estimated to be built during the period of the Ming dynasty (1368-1644).
Great wall of China:
- The Great Wall of China is made up of cement, rock, bricks as well as some powdered dirt. Thes ole reason behind building the Great Wall was to protect the northern Chinese states. It was completed around the year 1878.
- The Great Wall of China is about 21,196 kilometres long, 9.1 meters wide and 15 meters high.
- There are about 7000 watchtowers along with blockhouses and beacons., thus making it a huge asset in China’s defence against enemies.
- Watchtowers were used to keep tabs on the activities happening around the wall or to be on the lookout, 24*7, for surprise attacks when the county was vulnerable.
- Soldiers used to live in the blockhouse which allowed them to always be ready in case of any military emergency. Beacons were used to send smoke signals to alarm the soldiers about an attack.
- A total number of about 19 walls were built under the name of the Great Wall of China.
- The parts of the Great Wall of China that are visible in the present day is different from the originally made wall as a result of the damage and changes sustained by it due to misuse by people over the years.
- According to history, it took more than 2000 years for the Great Wall of China to be built completely.
- There is a myth surrounding the Great Wall of China that thousands of workers died while building the wall due to exhaustion, hunger or falling of giant stones and are apparently buried under the very wall itself.
- Another rumour surrounding the Great Wall of China is that it is visible from space. However, this is not exactly true since it is impossible to see the Great Wall of China from space through naked eyes.
- Some part of the wall has been erased and destroyed due to sandstorms and the same is predicted for other parts that are seemingly no longer there.
- What are the functions of the Great Wall of China?
- State the importance of the Great Wall of China in history.
- How long did it take to build the Great Wall of China?
True or False:
- The Great Wall of China is used to protect Australia.
- The majority of the Great Wall of China was made during the rule of the Ming dynasty.
- There are about 1000 watch towers present on the Great Wall of China.
- Watchtowers were used to send smoke signals.
- Smoke signals were sent to warn about the attack.
- The Great Wall of China was built around ____________.
- Chinese states.
- American states.
- Russian states.
- None of the above.
- The Great Wall of China was completed in the year ________.
- There were a total of ________ made in the name of the Great Wall of China.
- 19 walls.
- 20 walls.
- 3 walls.
- 41 walls.
- Blockhouses were used by soldiers for ________.
- None of the above.
- There were about ________ watchtowers on the Great wall of China.