The lion is the most famous wild animal. Especially known for their hunting and eating habits, lions are primarily found in forests in different places all over the world.
- The lion used to be the national animal of India before the tiger.
- The scientific name of the lion is “Panthera Leo”.
- Lion belongs to the genus Panthera.
- Most of the Lions are said to be native to Africa.
- Lions are the descendent of cat species.
- Therefore, there are many similarities between both of them.
- However, along with similarities, we should not forget that lions are carnivorous in nature. This means they depend on other animals for their survival.
- For lions, in order to cut through meat and to be a great attacker, they have a different set of teeth.
Lion’s teeth are divided in three parts.
They are the first type of teeth present at the front of the mouth.
They are the smallest teeth of all are present at the front.
The basic function of the incisor is to grip and tear meat.
They are present beside the incisors and are four in number.
The length of Canines can reach up to 7 centimeters.
The most basic function of the Canine is to rip away skin and tear meat apart.
They are the sharpest teeth of Lions.
They are present at the backside of the mouth.
These teeth act like scissors to cut meat.
- Along with teeth, Lions have a different kind of tongue.
- Lion’s tongue is said to be very rough just like sandpaper.
- It is useful in cutting and separating the meat from the bone.
- A lion can open up its jaw about 28 centimeters wide.
- A lion’s roar is so powerful, that it can be heard up to eight kilometers.
- Another name for Lions in the African local language is “Simba”.
- What is the scientific name for a lion?
- What are the types of teeth a lion has?
- What is carnivore?
True or False:
- The lion is the current national animal of India.
- The current national animal of India is Tiger.
- Lions are carnivorous in nature.
- Lions have no extra teeth compared to humans.
- Lions have a very soft tongue.
- Lions are close relatives of ______.
- Lions depend on ______ for their survival.
- Lions have ______ types of teeth.
- Canine’s basic work is to ______.
- Rip away the skin.
- Tear the meat.
- Both 1) and 2).
- None of the above.
- Lions have a rough ______.