Can anything survive in the desert?
What is desert?
- Deserts are said to cover more than or equal to one-fifth of the Earth.
- Deserts are places with extreme temperatures.
- They can either be too dry with minimal rainfall or they can be too cold present in the Antarctic region.
- Deserts can also be said as the extension of dry land.
Why is it said to be difficult to live in the desert?
- We, as human beings, are always in need of bulk of water for us to survive.
- And Deserts are typically the places with the lowest amount of water found ever.
- Along with scarcity of water, there can always be a scarcity of food.
- Not just for human beings, these conditions can eventually affect animals and plants also.
- Hence, it is difficult to live in a desert.
How can we still find life in the desert even after this many problems?
- Well, with the region and climate animals and plants have different characteristic features to support their living life.
- Eventually, places like deserts are also known to have different kinds of species.
- The type of species that can adapt to the lifestyle provided by the desert, and its conditions.
- Some examples of animals found in the desert are camels, desert foxes, thorny devils, rockhopper penguins, etc.
- Some examples of the plants found in the desert are prickly pear, wildflowers, orange trees, ficus, etc.
What are the adapted ways used by animals to survive in the desert?
- Animals like camels can go on for days and weeks with food and water.
- Many animals have their own system to keep them cool when there’s too much heat outside.
- Some animals are also known to be active only when there is no sun outside such as nocturnal animals.
- Nocturnal animals are those types of animals who are active during nighttime.
- Some animals can even stay mostly underground to avoid the extreme conditions of the desert.
What are some adapted ways for plants to survive in the desert?
- Some species of desert plants can live for many years without water.
- Some plants can have their roots dig down deep in the earth surface causing them to reach near underground water and fulfil their desire for water.
- Some plants such as cacti have very different methods to survive in this condition, it is known to store water in its leaves as a fleshy substance and use it when required.
- Do you know, most of the deserts are present in subtropical regions.
- Do you know there are two types of the desert present, hot desert such as The Sahara Desert, cold desert such as The Gobi Desert?
- Some of the other common deserts are the Arabian Desert, Antarctic Desert, Mojave Desert, Namib Desert.
- What are the differences between hot and cold deserts?
- What are subtropical regions?
- What are the conditions for a place to be termed a desert?
True or False:
- Deserts are said to cover one-fourth of the Earth.
- Deserts can receive so much rainfall.
- The Desert is a very normal place for all to live.
- Desert can be found very normal in daily temperatures.
- Desert animals require no special adaptations.
1. Deserts are the places with ______.
- Extreme conditions.
- Extreme darkness.
- Normal temperatures.
- No change.
2. A human being can face complications in the desert such as ______.
- Scarcity of water.
- Scarcity of food.
- Both 1) and 2).
- None of the above.
3. It is ______ to live in a desert.
- Don’t know.
3. Camels can go ______ food for many days or weeks.
- Needs daily food.
- None of the above.
4. ______ are examples of desert animals.
- Desert Fox.
- Thorny devil.
- All of the above.