Free Download for IEO English Olympiad 2014 sample papers for Class 5 from Kidpid.com. Try to solve previous year question paper and increase your chances to qualify for 2nd level English Olympiad Exam. Remember more you practice, more marks you will get in Olympiad exam.
IEO Previous Year Question Paper for Class 5 (2014, SET A)
WORD AND STRUCTURE KNOWLEDGE
FOR QUESTIONS 1 TO 16, CHOOSE THE CORRECT WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
Potato chips are_____
1. I thought I’d done well in my exams, but I was ________ disappointed with my results.
2. Does the optician near your house have a good ____of spectacle frames or just a few?
3. This term, the school curriculum will mainly______on education, and not so much on sports.
4. The principal had to_______the lesson to inform us to leave the school building quickly.
5. I don’t know many words in French, therefore I need to_______my vocabulary.
B. step up
6. Does this drink______apple juice? If it does, I don’t want it because I don’t like apple juice.
7. If I disagree with my best friend, he gets a bit____and starts fighting with me.
8. I’ll turn the tap off when the tank is full. Tell me when the tank_____
A. is overflow
B. will overflow
9. Luckily, the firefighters________out the fire very quickly or else the whole house would have burnt down.
10. Teacher: Are we all here?______everybody arrived? Shall we start?
11. Thank God! I found the homework file. I______ been looking for it since last night.
12. Shop advertisement: We have the lowest price in town. We promise to __ _ any price offered by our competitors.
13. To reach school on time I set_____from home at 6 am every morning.
14. I went shopping and bought_____apples and some oranges.
A. a little
C. a few
15. Isabel is brighter than the rest of the class. Some people say she’s the_____ intelligent girl in the whole school.
16. Raj tells people he’s the head boy of the school, but ______ he’s only a class prefect.
FOR QUESTIONS 17 TO 19, REARRANGE THE WORDS TO FORM MEANINGFUL SENTENCE.
cat (a) / the (b) / curiosity (c) / killed (d)
A. a c d b
B. c d b a
C. b d c a
D. d b a c
17. always (a) / arrives (b) / late (c) / she (d)
A. a b c d
B. b c d a
C. d a b c
D. d c b a
18. every (a) / he goes to (b) / week (c) /the cinema (d)
A. b d a c
B. d a c b
C. a c d b
D. d a b c
19. heavily (a) / India (b) / it rained (c) / throughout (d)
A. a c b d
B. c b d a
C. c d a b
D. c a d b
FOR 20 TO 26, READ THE PASSAGE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW.
INDIAN RHINOCEROS The Indian rhinoceros lives primarily in northern India and Nepal. These massive beasts have some noticeable physical differences from their African relatives. Their segmented hide looks like a formidable coat of natural body armor. It functions a bit like one also: Flexible skin between the thicker hide “plates” allows them to shift as the rhinoceros moves.
As their Latin name Rhinoceros unicornis suggests, Indian rhinos have only one horn. Like other rhinos, these animals have sharp hearing and a keen sense of smell. They may find one another by following the trail of scent each enormous animal leaves behind on the landscape. An Indian rhino can move very quickly when aroused. Their charges have been clocked at 30 miles (48 kilometers) an hour. They can weigh up to 2000 kg. Despite their bulk, they are nimble and can jump or change direction quickly.
The Indian rhino is a grazer that travels established, tunnel-like paths through its tall grass habitat. It grasps tall grasses with its prehensile (gripping) lip. In addition to grass, rhinos eat fruit, leaves, and sometimes farm crops. They are often around water and sometimes consume aquatic plants. These herbivorous mammals and their average life span in the wild is about 40 years. These animals forage in the cooler temperatures of morning and afternoon to avoid exerting themselves in the unbearable mid-day heat. When the sun is high, they often wallow or submerge themselves in water. They can grow to a length of about 12.5 feet (3.8 m) and height at shoulders, up to 6 feet (1.8 m).
The prominent horn for which these rhinos are so well-known has also been their downfall. Many animals have been killed for this hard, hair-like growth, which is revered for medicinal use in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore. The horn is also valued in North Africa and the Middle East as an ornamental dagger handle. There are only about 2,000 Indian rhinos left in the wild. They are an endangered species.
20. How long can the rhinos live?
A. 12.5 years
B. Many years
C. Thirty years
D. Forty years
21. Rhinos graze through______.
B. tall grass
D. aquatic plants
22. They can find each other by_______.
23. Besides being very heavy, they can change______very quickly, while chasing.
24. Indian rhinos are similar to_______rhinos.
B. North African
25. Their horns are used as an ornament in the_____.
A. Middle East
D. Hong Kong
26. Apart from having good sense of smell, rhinos also have sharp_______.
C. body plates
FOR QUESTIONS 27 TO 29, READ THE SIGNS AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT EXPLANATION FOR IT.
CHILDREN UNDER FIVE MUST HAVE AN ADULT WITH THEM ON THIS RIDE.
The sign says that_________________
A. children less than 5 years of age cannot go on this ride alone
B. children in groups of five or more must have an adult with them
C. adults are not allowed on this ride
D. children under five feet height must have an adult with them
METRO TRAIN TICKET COUNTER
Please have ready the exact fare for your journey.
27. The sign says that_______
A. you need to keep your ticket ready for checking
B. all metro journeys cost exactly the same
C. you need to have the exact amount of money to buy the ticket
D. you have to be ready for your journey
Between 9 am and 9 pm, minimum charge 20 per hour.
28. The sign says that
A. you can only use internet for ₹ 20
B. a charge of ₹ 20 is added each hour
C. you can only use internet for an hour
D. each customer will have to pay at least ₹ 20
Learn to play the piano with your children, 4 lessons a week.
29. The sign says that______.
A. watch your children to play the piano
B. parents and children can learn together
C. we’ll look after your children while you learn the piano
D. group piano lessons for children only
SPOKEN AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION
FOR QUESTIONS 30 TO 36, CHOOSE THE BEST REPLY TO COMPLETE EACH CONVERSATION.
Steve: I live in a big city.
A. I live near the park
B. So do I
C. I also
D. My house is big
30. Anil: Hey, you know Sachin Tendulkar is coming to our school to meet our team. Omar: Really! You mean_____Sachin Tendulkar? I’ll get his autograph.
31. Tony: I’ve couriered the parcel with the balloons.
Hamid:_____it arrive in time? I hope it does before the birthday party.
32. Salman: What would you like to be, my friend.
Imran: If I_______choose anything, I think I’d want to be an actress.
33. Hari: Hey Vassan, where were you born?
Vassan: I was born in Delhi.
Hari: thats funny________was I.
34. Nephew: Hurry up uncle, we’ll miss the train. Uncle: Yes I know, we’ll miss the train_____
we leave at once. Let’s go.
D. in case
35. Parent: How is my daughter doing in class? Teacher: Your daughter’s reading is the best in the class. Her writing,____ needs improvement.
36. Alison: Where is Amy? Do you happen to know whether she went out alone?
A. scared I didn’t see her go out
B. sure I’ve never seen with people
C. afraid I didn’t see her go out
D. going to see
FOR QUESTIONS 37 TO 45, CHOOSE THE BEST OPTION TO COMPLETE EACH GAP.
Thanks for your lovely email. I___ (37)___ it last night. You asked me___(38)__ my family, so here’s some information about my family. I go to a small school in my village and so__(39)___my brother, Ajith and my sister, Sitara. I love my school, and they do too. I don’t like Maths and Ajith doesn’t_(40)___ . I prefer arts and so does Sitara. You said you enjoyed painting and I do____ (41)__ You also said you didn’t like cricket. We all hate it also ! My father loves it and so_ (42)___ my mother, but they only watch it on TV, they___ (43)___ play. I’m _____(44)______ camping with my school next week and I think you____(45)___ that you are going this week. Write to me about your trip, after you get back.
Your friend, Viren
D. all ways
A. tell me
FOR QUESTIONS 46 AND 47, CHOOSE THE CORRECT WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
46. Last night there was no moon, it was very dark and______outside.
A. strange quiet
B. strange quietly
C. strangely quiet
D. strangely quietly
47. The Japanese have made a new train which travels at very high speeds. It is_____ train in the world.
B. most fastest
C. faster of all
D. the fastest
READ THE SIGN AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT EXPLANATION FOR IT.
Do not climb the trees – Danger of falling branches.
48. The sign says that______
A. do not climb the trees, as it is dangerous
B. there is a danger of falling on the branches
C. check loose branches before you climb
D. do not climb the branches but the trees are okay
FOR QUESTIONS 49 AND 50, CHOOSE THE BEST REPLY TO COMPLETE EACH CONVERSATION.
49. Ram: This supermarket charges too much for parking your car.
Raju: I think the best solution is to go to another supermarket.
Ram: I agree then they will quickly_______ their stupid policy.
50. Sunil: Oh, do you really have to go? Stay a bit longer and have tea.
Kavita: Well, I_______go. I have to go for my tuition classes, I’ll get late.