- Our Earth is said to be as a mixture of different environmental conditions with different climatic changes.
- Just as we move from South Pole to North Pole there is a drastic change in climatic conditions.
- Similarly, when we move deep inside the sea, the climatic conditions faced by us are found to be very harsh as compared to that of above.
- The climatic condition inside the deep water is found to be very cold approx. below 5 degree Celsius.
- There is also extreme pressure with the complete darkness inside the deep water.
- The deep sea starts after the 200 meters depth.
- Surviving in these extreme conditions is nit possible for all aquatic animals, however, there are few animals mostly found in the depth of the sea only.
- The example of deep sea animals are Anglerfish, Fangtooth, Dumbo octopus, etc.
- Anglerfish are the bony fish belonging to the class of Actinopterygii.
- Anglerfish are found to be carnivore in nature.
- The anglerfish found at the deep sea attracts their prey by the light that is produced by some bacteria in them.
- Fangtooth are the deep sea fish belonging to the class of Actinopterygii.
- Fangtooth got its name due to its teeth. They are the largest teeth among all the animals of ocean. They are equal to its body size. Fangtooth can never close its mouth due to the presence of its teeth.
- Fangtooth are found to be the smallest growing animal of ocean and they are the deepest sea animal.
- Dumbo Octopus belongs to the phylum Mollusca and order Octopoda.
- Dumbo Octopus feeds on the organism found at the surface of sea such as polychaete worms, isopods, etc.
- The average life span of Dumbo Octopus is found be around 3-5 years approx.
- Dumbo Octopus got its name from the visual reference of a character named as Dumbo from the Disney film 1941 “Dumbo”.
- We have better knowledge and maps about Mars as compared to the knowledge of deep sea.
- The average depth of Ocean is so deep that we need to stack the statue of liberty on itself for about 47 times to reach its depth. In numbers, the depth is about 14000 feet.
- Name some other deep sea animals.
- What is bio-luminescence?
- What does a deep sea animal means?
True or False:
- There is no change in climatic condition from South Pole to North Pole.
- The deep sea has a great amount of light.
- Organism living in deep sea are same as to those living on surface.
- There is a great pressure in the deep sea.
- Whales are the type of deep sea animal.
- Deep sea has ______.
- Harsh climatic conditions.
- Great pressure.
- Complete darkness.
- All of the above.
- _______ are the examples of deep sea animal.
- The Dumbo Octopus
- The Fangtooth.
- The Anglerfish.
- All of the above.
- Anglerfish are found to be _______.
- Carnivore animal.
- Herbivore animal.
- Omnivorous animal.
- Hyper-carnivorous animal.
- Fangtooth cannot close its mouth due to ______.
- The size of its tooth.
- The color of its tooth.
- The shape of its tooth.
- None of the above.
- Dumbo Octopus belongs to the ________.
- Phylum Mollusca.
- Phylum Chordata.
- Phylum Annelida.
- Phylum Porifera.