- The scientific name for Meerkat is Suricata Suricatta, also referred to as suricate.
- Meerkat are the small mongoose animal found in the South Africa.
- The external feature of mongoose include the broad head, large eyes, a pointed snout, long legs, a thin tapering tail, and a stripped coat pattern.
- On an average, Meerkat’s weight about 0.62 to 0.97 kg, and their length is about 24 to 35 cm on average.
- Their fur or coat is of yellowish to brown color with in-between dark and light bands.
- Meerkat’s have able fore claws mostly useful in digging soil.
- Meerkat’s also have the ability of thermoregulation, that allows them to survive in harsh and dry conditions.
- Thermoregulation is the ability of mammals that allows them to maintain their body temperature irrespective of the environmental conditions.
- Meerkats are known to live in stony, calcareous areas and in a large burrow systems in plains.
Why do Meerkat’s stand on their back legs?
- Meerkats are known to live in a group of minimum two members to the maximum 30 members.
- Most of the time Meerkat’s live by walking on four legs just like a dog. But sometimes they do stand on two legs.
- As compared to other animals, Meerkats are quite good at balancing with two legs.
- Their first reason to stand on two legs can be said to attain some height as they are very small animal.
- Them attaining height can help in keeping better watch at the surrounding to find for any predator or danger while finding food.
- The one Meerkat doing the job of keeping a watch around is said to be at sentry position or guard position.
- The another reason for standing on two legs can be to have more heat at the belly area from sun which is not much possible in bending position.
- Meerkats are immune to venom to such a limit that even if bitten by cobra, they will feel unwell for some time and will go back to normal.
- Meerkat’s have a great vision. Eyes is their most developed sense.
- Meerkats are known to be the most murderous mammal, who can be killed by their own species.
- In which desired condition, Meerkats are known to live?
- Who are mammals?
- Who are mongoose?
True or False:
- Meerkat belongs to the mongoose group.
- Meerkat have zebra like white and black color fur coat.
- Meerkat’s have the ability of thermoregulation.
- Meerkat’s fore claw is used for eating.
- Meerkat like to live alone.
- The scientific name of _______ is suricata suricatta.
- ________ is the ability of mammal’s that allows them to maintain their body temperature irrespective of environmental conditions.
- Meerkat are known to live in a group of about _________.
- Two to Eight People.
- Two to Fifteen People.
- Two to Thirty People.
- Two to Fifty Five People.
- Meerkat’s use _______ for mostly digging.
- Fore claw.
- Back claw.
- Left claw.
- Right claw.
- As compared to other animals, Meerkat are quite good at __________.
- Balancing at two legs.
- Balancing at three legs.
- Balancing at five legs.
- Balancing at one leg.