Shapes help children identify and organize visual information. Almost everything in this world can be broken down into shapes visually. Shapes are everywhere – the sun is circular in shape, a bus is a long rectangle, Rubik’s cube is a cube. It helps them learn skills in day-to-day life, it is thus essential for kids to identify different shapes.
Shape Sorting Practice Worksheets
The following flashcards are useful when teaching kids about different types of shapes.
2. The task is simple. Children have to sort the shapes on the mats. Download and print the flashcards and cut them out for children to identify and sort different shapes.
3. This is a nonagon. Nonagon is a nine-sided polygon.
4. A star is a polygon. It is a non-convex polygon.
5. Ovals are squished circles. It is a shape like an egg.
6. A rectangle is a special case of a parallelogram in which each pair of adjacent sides are perpendicular to each other.
7. This is an octagon. An octagon is an eight-sided polygon.
8. This is a hexagon. A hexagon is a six-sided polygon.
9. This is a triangle. A triangle is a closed shape with three angles, three sides and three vertices.
10. Wikipedia defines a circle as a shape consisting of all points in a plane that are at a given distance from a given point, the center; equivalently it is the curve traced out by a point that moves in a plane so that its distance from a given point is constant.
11. This is a square. A square is a closed, two-dimensional shape with four equal sides.
12. This is a pentagon. A pentagon is a five sided polygon.
Download these flashcards and use the mats to allow children learn about different types of shapes!