Free Download for IEO English Olympiad 2012 sample papers for Class 5 from Kidpid.com. Try to solve previous year question paper and increase your chances to qualify for 2nd level English Olympiad Exam. Remember more you practice, more marks you will get in Olympiad exam.
IEO Previous Year Question Paper for Class 5 (2012, SET B)
WORD AND STRUCTURE KNOWLEDGE
CHOOSE THE BEST WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
1. I wish I_____________have to go to school tomorrow but unfortunately I do.
2. If I were rich,_______an airplane.
(A) I’d have
(B) I had
(C) I’ll have
(D) I can have
3. There was a fight on the road yesterday, but nobody_________.
(B) are hurt
(C) was hurt
4. We______________because the dogs were barking during the night.
(A) wake up
(B) were woken up
(C) are woken up
(D) were waking up
5. What time does__________?
(A) begins the class
(B) begin the class
(C) the class begin
(D) begin class
6. A friend of mine phoned_________ me to go swimming.
(B) for invitation
(C) for invite
(D) to invite
7. It wasn’t your fault. It was _______accident.
8. His sister works in a big hospital, she’s______nurse.
9. There are millions of stars in________.
(B) the space
(C) a space
(D) all the space
10. This computer isn’t mine. It’s__________ my brother.
11. He’s very lazy. He never does________work.
(A) lots of
12. My family and I went to the new mall with______ money.
(B) a lot of
(D) so much
13. I don’t like films_______have unhappy endings.
14. Pallavi was carrying a_________bag.
(A) small black cloth
(B) small and black cloth
(C) black small cloth
(D) cloth small black
15. The exam was________ I expected.
(A) easier than
(B) easier as
(C) more easy than
(D) more easy that
16. I’m going on a school trip______December.
17. When did your guests arrive________your house?
18. If you are worried about failing, you should do something____it.
19. We’re playing football in the evening. Why don’t you______?
(A) come in
(B) join in
(C) get in
(D) break in
20. My naughty uncle parked his car in a no-parking zone, but he _____with it. There were no policemen.
(A) got on
(B) got away
(C) made off
(D) came up
21. Shopkeepers never like serving difficult________.
22. They went on a long________around south India.
23. We had no electricity because the power station was shut ____ two days.
24. I think your teacher will be unhappy and______ your homework because it’s late.
25. It’s a not a sunny day but that_______should dry all the clothes.
26. Wow it’s so cold and look how white the window is! Is that snow or______?
27. A few years ago the Tsunami_________several buildings on the island.
(C) blew up
28. I ____ a big mistake by changing the team and they lost the match.
29. Our teacher tells us not to forget to______our hair and look smart when we come to school.
30. My brother’s leg was very painful after the Scorpion_____it.
31. Hello! Hello! I’m a bit______so could you speak a little louder?
32. The best surgeon operated_______his leg yesterday.
REARRANGE THE WORDS/PHRASES TO FORM MEANINGFUL SENTENCES.
with my friends (1)/ going on holiday (2) / I was (3)/ looking forward to (4)
(A) 4, 1, 2, 3
(B) 1, 3, 2, 4
(C) 3, 4, 2, 1
(D) 2, 3, 1, 4
33. and no (1) / bark (2) / bite (3) / all (4)
(A) 2, 3, 4, 1
(B) 3, 4, 1, 2
(C) 4, 2, 1,3
(D) 1, 3, 4, 2
34. cry (1) / milk (2) / over spilt (3) / don’t (4)
(A) 2, 1, 4,3
(B) 1, 3, 2, 4
(C) 3, 4, 2, 1
(D) 4, 1, 3, 2
35. crossed (1) / keep (2) / fingers (3) / your (4)
(A) 1, 3, 4, 2
(B) 3, 4, 1, 2
(C) 2, 4, 3, 1
(D) 4, 1, 2, 3
CHOOSE THE BEST MEANING FOR THE EXPRESSIONS.
36. ‘He looks down on poor people.’ What does he think of poor people?
(A) He thinks we should help poor people.
(B) He doesn’t respect poor people.
(C) He feels sorry for poor people.
(D) He thinks poor people should stand lower
37. It’s raining cats and dogs. What’s the weather like?
(A) It’s raining heavily.
(C) It’s hardly raining.
(B) It’s raining lightly.
(D) It’s just started raining.
READ THE PASSAGE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW.
Hero of Tiger Conservation in India – Billy Arjan Singh (born 1917- died 2010)
Born into a large, landowning Sikh family, Singh was a keen hunter in his youth. But once, after killing a young leopard he felt so disgusted by what he’d done that he became a protector of the big cats. In the forests and grasslands of north India in Uttar Pradesh near the Indo-Nepal border, he created Dudhwa National Park. Here Billy lived and worked as an unpaid warden, raising leopards and tigers uncaged in his home, and encouraging them to return to the forest. Aged 88, Billy was the recipient of the J. Paul Getty Wildlife Conservation Award in acknowledgement of a lifetime’s work.
38. Was Billy a hunter till he died?
(A) No, he gave up hunting because he was a Sikh and a keen hunter.
(B) No, he stopped hunting after he got the award.
(C) No, he stopped because he felt very bad after killing a young leopard.
(D) No, because he was an unpaid warden all his life.
39. Who founded Dudhwa National Park?
(A) J. Paul Getty
(B) Sikh family
(C) Uttar Pradesh Government
(D) Billy Arjan Singh
40. Did Billy tie up all the animals?
(A) The big cats were free to roam around.
(B) The animals were without a home.
(C) He kept them in separate cages.
(D) He tied them till they went back to the forest.
41. ‘Raising leopards and tigers’ means_______
(A) sending them to high forests
(B) picking them up
(C) keeping them on a higher floor of the house
(D) taking care of them
SPOKEN AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION
CHOOSE THE BEST WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH CONVERSATION.
Steve : I live in a big city.
(A) I live near the park
(B) So do I
(C) This place is crowded
(D) I also
42. Sita : I’ve decided to learn a foreign language.
Geeta : Which language are you______ learn?
(C) going to
43. Is that a new book?
No, I_______it a long time ago.
44. Sam : It was a boring holiday. I________________anything exciting.
(A) didn’t do
(B) don’t do
45. Alam : I’ve lost one of my slippers.
Neetu : You must_______ it somewhere.
(B) be dropping
(C) have been dropping
(D) have dropped
46. Priya : Was the beach dirty?
Jay : Dirty? It was absolutely__________________.
47. Sue : Where are my glasses?
Joe : I’ve no_______
48. Seema : She’s always late. I bet she’s late again today.
Keshav : It wouldn’t_______________me.
49. Ahmed : It’s very kind of you to help.
(A) Not at all
(B) No, thanks it’s all right
(C) Yes, that’s right
(D) I’m afraid I can’t
50. TV Owner : Is it worth repairing this TV set?
TV Mechanic : ______________.
(A) No, you must give me the remote
(B) No, you can buy a DVD player too
(C) No, you can see I have a lot of work
(D) No, you should buy a new one