Free Download for IEO English Olympiad 2012 sample papers for Class 5 from Kidpid.com. Try to solve previous year question paper and increase your chances to qualify for 2nd level English Olympiad Exam. Remember more you practice, more marks you will get in Olympiad exam.
IEO Previous Year Question Paper for Class 5 (2012, SET A)
WORD AND STRUCTURE KNOWLEDGE
CHOOSE THE BEST WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
1. The Olympic Games________place every 4 years.
2. I read a lot of General Knowledge books, they are a good source of________
3. Playing games with friends is very___________
4. Dogs can always_________the person because of their powers of smell.
5. Riya has lived in Chennai_________10 years.
6. The weather is very dry. It hasn’t rained since_______
(A) 10 days
(B) last Friday
(C) many days
(D) about one month
7. It’s very_______when you are caught telling a lie.
8. Neither my dad_________my mum could come to the school function.
9. My brother drew a picture yesterday. It was ok, but not________mine.
(A) good as
(B) as good as
(C) better as
(D) best as
10. I’m sorry, we didn’t have electricity all yesterday, therefore I _______my homework.
11. The Minister said that we will have__________powercuts now because the new power station has opened.
12. Doctors say overweight people should not eat_______food.
13. My uncle has a shop in_______________small village by the river Ganga.
14. Everyone likes my uncle because he is__________ honest man.
15. I kept a box of sweets on _______table last night. It’s empty now.
16. Most days I reach school on time. I am______late.
17. People should not drive______on the road.
18. Sachin Tendulkar is the best batsman in the world; he plays all his shots________
(A) more wonderfully
(D) most wonderful
19. Vassan always sits_______the table to eat his food.
20. Hari ran________the road to catch the falling kite on the other side.
21. People have to go____________the long bridge to reach the temple on the island.
22. We will go on a picnic next week_________it rains.
23. Vassan doesn’t leave the table___________he finishes all this food.
24. All the athletes had to practice very hard______they wanted to win a medal in the London Olympics.
(A) due to
25. I’m_______ a very interesting book these days.
(A) have read
(B) will read
26. Rijul told me that he has ____Dragon fruit in Sri Lanka.
27. Ashok’s school is closed today therefore he_____have to wake up early.
28. Vikas couldn’t finish the question paper______in the 3 hours he had.
29. What do you do with a torch? You_______.
(A) shine it
(B) turn it
(C) show it
(D) glow it
REARRANGE THE WORDS/PHRASES TO FORM MEANINGFUL SENTENCES.
with my friends (1) / going on holiday (2) / was (3) / looking forward to (4)
(A) 4, 1, 2, 3
(B) 1, 3, 2, 4
(C) 3, 4, 2, 1
(D) 2, 3, 1, 4
30. all your (1)/ in one basket (2)/ don’t put (3)/ eggs (4)
(A) 4, 1, 2, 3
(B) 1, 3, 2, 4
(C) 3, 1, 4,2
(D) 2, 3, 1, 4
31. late (1) / better (2) / never (3)/ than (4)
(A) 3, 1, 4, 2
(B) 1, 2, 4, 3
(C) 4, 2, 1,3
(D) 2, 1, 4, 3
32. is a (1)/ best friend (2) / man’s (3)/ a dog (4)
(A) 2, 1, 3, 4
(B) 4, 1, 3, 2
(C) 2, 3, 4, 1
(D) 4, 1, 2, 3
33. lining (1) / every (2) / silver (3)/ cloud has a (4)
(A) 4, 3, 1, 2
(B) 3, 2, 4, 1
(C) 2, 4, 3, 1
(D) 1, 2, 4, 3
34. a man (1)/ makes (2) / practice (3) / perfect (4)
(A) 2, 3, 4, 1
(B) 1, 4, 3, 2
(C) 4, 1, 2, 3
(D) 3, 2, 1, 4
READ THE PASSAGE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW.
A man-eating tiger is a tiger that has been forced because of reasons beyond its control to start eating human beings. In nine cases out of ten either the tiger is wounded, or in the tenth case is very old. Human beings are not the natural prey of tigers and it is only when tigers are incapable of chasing or hunt they are forced to eat human flesh to live. When a tiger is suffering from one or more painful wounds (which can happen when it is careless while killing a porcupine, its teeth are missing or defective or its claws are worn down), it is unable to catch its natural food which is an animal and is forced to kill human beings.
35. Are all tigers man eaters?
(A) Only the ones who are wounded.
(B) Only the ones who are careless while killing a porcupine.
(C) Only the ones who are wounded or old.
(D) Only the ones who have missing teeth.
36. What does the phrase ‘claws are worn down’ mean?
(A) Claws are not sharp.
(B) Claws are dirty.
(C) Claws are missing.
(D) Claws are not worn up.
37. What should the tiger be careful of?
(C) Getting wounded
(D) Having bad teeth
38. Choose the appropriate heading for the passage above.
(A) Old and wounded tigers are lazy.
(B) Why do tigers become man eaters?
(C) Porcupines kill tigers.
(D) Should humans give food to tigers?
READ THE FOLLOWING ROAD SIDE SLOGANS AND CHOOSE THE BEST ANSWER.
39. Speed thrills but kills
(A) you should be careful when having thrills
(B) thrill kills you
(C) driving fast is dangerous
(D) thrills give you speed
40. Driving faster can cause disaster “Disaster means”
(A) getting fined
(C) reaching early
(D) great harm
SPOKEN AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION
CHOOSE THE BEST WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH CONVERSATION.
Steve : I live in a big city.
(A) I live near the park
(B) So do I
(C) This place is crowded
(D) I also
41. Pallavi : Can you post this letter for me, please?
(A) Yes, the post box is in Defence Colony, but I will do it
(B) Yes, sending an email is faster than a letter
(C) Yes, it is nice to write a letter with your name on the envelope
(D) Yes, I’ll write a letter too, but I don’t have a stamp
42. Dev and Veena are talking on the phone.
Dev : Hello, Can I help you?
(A) Yes, you are a good boy. You always help others
(B) Yes, I’d like to speak to Helen, please
(C) Yes, can you hear me? I can hear you
(D) None of these
43. You can turn off the TV. I’m_________it.
(B) not watching
(D) not changing
44. Let’s go out now. It___________raining anymore.
(B) will be
45. Please don’t make so much__________,I’m trying to study.
46. ‘Ssh … I’m________because I don’t want to wake the children.’
47. ‘Well done! You did it!’ My parents_______me on coming first.
48. I phoned Oliver at home, but__________.
(A) there were no answer
(B) there was no answer
(C) there were no answers
(D) there was no answers
49 Srini : What did you do to your finger?’
(A) ‘I cut myself when I was sharpening the pencil.’
(B) ‘I cut me when I was sharpening the pencil.’
(C) ‘I myself cut when I was sharpening the pencil.’
(D) ‘I cut when I was sharpening the pencil.’
50. Kapil : Are you going to Rijul’s birthday party on Sunday?
Rachna : No, I didn’t get___________