Free Download for IEO English Olympiad 2017 sample papers for Class 7 from Kidpid.com. Try to solve previous year question paper and increase your chances to qualify for 2nd level English Olympiad Exam. Remember more you practice, more marks you will get in Olympiad exam.
IEO Previous Year Question Paper for Class 7 (2015, Set A)
WORD AND STRUCTURE KNOWLEDGE
FOR QUESTIONS 1 TO 22, CHOOSE THE CORRECT WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
I am so_____as I went running today! Tomorrow I will need a rest.
1. I really like your dress, where can I get____one?
C. the same
2. I am_____of the raw chicken. I think it has gone bad.
3. You_______remember the ticket or they won’t let you on the bus.
4. the old man _____our house many years ago.
5. Shall we go and see what’s showing at the cinema ______
A. late for
C. later for
6. I______ upset because I_____ lost my car keys.
A. will be, was
B. am, have
C. have, have
D. would be, had
7. They_____swimming if the weather_______bad.
A. won’t go, was
B. won’t go, is
C. won’t have gone, are
D. gone, was
8. First deserve then_______
9. The baby___when it______ hungry.
A. cried, was
B. cries, are
C. crying, is
D. cry, is
10. If you_____playing cricket, why didn’t you______
A. were, tell me
B. was, say
C. are, explained
D. will be, tell
11. Why did you_____the match?
12. I____rather go by train than in your old car.
13. I have nothing to_____I need a new______
A. wear, wardrobe
B. eat, apple
C. sit on, table
D. talk, conversations
14. He is going to be______this dinner for breakfast if he is any later.
15. The detective did not find any_____evidence.
16. My mother_____painting, but she prefers making sculptures.
B. is liking
17. I looked at the menu and it was written in Spanish. I asked my father what it______
18. The train_____ at the station and is now being cleaned.
A. has arrived
B. was arriving
C. will have been arriving
D. will have arrived
19. When the actor forgot his dialogues he felt_______
20. I wish it______raining. I want to go outside and play.
A. would stop
C. would be stopping
D. has stopped
21. Something which is not thorough or profound is called______
22. Have you ever been to______Netherlands?
D. no article
FOR QUESTIONS 23 AND 24, CHOOSE THE CORRECT SYNONYM OF THE WORD.
FOR QUESTIONS 25 AND 26, CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANTONYM OF THE WORD.
FOR QUESTIONS 27 TO 34, READ THE PASSAGE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW.
The 1960s was a decade that brought the world many new things, from the first man in space, to the first moon landings, and hippies in the USA, to communist revolution in Cuba. It was also the time that a band called The Beatles, first emerged. From humble beginnings as teenagers, in Liverpool, England, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, would use music to conquer the world by the end of the decade.
John, Paul and George met in the late 1950s. In 1960, they formed a band with Pete Best and Stuart Sutcliffe and played music in Liverpool’s music venues. Sutcliffe left the band to become a painter and in 1962, they were joined by Ringo Starr. He replaced Pete Best when they first recorded for the EMI record label. After this, they released records that immediately became popular in the UK. This started something that became known as Beatlemania where fans of the band were described as crazed and would follow them everywhere. Their popularity spread across Europe and then the USA. By 1964, when they landed at JFK airport in New York, they were greeted by 3000 fans. The Beatles success continued as they released more albums, the most popular of which was ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’, released in 1967.
The Beatles were interested in Indian culture and in 1966, Harrison visited India for six weeks and took sitar lessons from Ravi Shankar. After this, in 1967, The Beatles attended a lecture by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Wales, UK. The following year, they all travelled to Rishikesh in northern India. Here, they attended an advanced Transcendental Meditation training session at the ashram of Maharishi at the foothills of the Himalayas. They stayed in India for different lengths of time, with Ringo leaving first, then Paul and finally John and George left together after about six weeks. It’s said that this was one of their most productive periods, with John, Paul and George writing 30-45 songs. The Beatles split up in 1970, their success as a band having spanned an entire decade.
27. The overall purpose of the extract is to tell the reader that______
A. The Beatles’ success can be attributed to their time in India
B. The Beatles were successful in the 1960s
C. The Beatles split up in 1970
D. the 1960s changed the world
28. What else does the passage mention thathappened in the 1960s?
A. Man went to space for the first time
B. Hippy revolution in Cuba
C. The founding of the city of Liverpool in the UK
D. The Beatles changed art
29. When did they have to replace a member of the band?
A. In the late 1950s
30. Which sentence best describes Beatlemania?
A. The band was so popular that their fans were said to be crazed.
B. The band travelled to many destinations very quickly.
C. It started after the band was greeted by 3000 fans at JFK airport.
D. The release of the band’s famous songs.
31. Which of the following statements is false?
A. Paul McCartney never performed in Liverpool.
B. Stuart Sutcliffe wanted to paint.
C. Ringo Starr was a replacement member.
D. George Harrison was the first to go to India.
32. Why did The Beatles go to India?
A. To see the Himalayas
B. To meet Ravi Shankar
C. To get classical music lessons from experts
D. To go to the ashram of Maharishi
33. What was the outcome of The Beatles’ trip to India?
A. By the end, only John, Paul and George were in the band.
B. They wrote a lot of songs.
C. John and George did not write songs together.
D. It was one of their least productive times.
34. Choose the correct meaning of the word “transcendental’ as used in the passage.
FOR QUESTIONS 35 TO 40, READ THE PASSAGE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW
The train waited at the platform with smoke billowing out of its engine. It was a splendid old steam train that was now being used to take people up to the shrine at the top of the mountain. Kim looked at it in awe. He had never been on a steam train before and this was going to be quite an experience.
His love of trains had started when he was a very young child, maybe two or three years old. This was when he made his first trip across the country with his mother to visit his grandparents. It was a long journey but Kim had enjoyed every minute of it and was well behaved. He sat on her lap and stared out of the window at the scenery that changed quickly in front of him. There was also a lot going on inside the train. There were many travellers getting on and off. At some points, the train was so busy that most of the passengers had to stand up, and then it would empty out again and they all had more air to breath. He remembered this first trip now, as he stood looking at the steam train.
Kim’s sister jumped onto the steps and into the first carriage. She beckoned to him to follow her. He did, and as he lifted himself up the same steps using the handrail, the train let out a shrill sound to mark its imminent departure. People started scurrying in after him and finding their seats. He and his sister sat opposite one another next to the window. They observed the busy train station as the train started to move.
35. Kim is getting on the train to_____
A. look at the engine
B. take his sister to school
C. visit the shrine
D. visit his grandparents
36. Which of the following statements is false?
A. Kim loves trains.
B. Kim went on a train as a very young boy.
C. Kim first travelled by train with his sister.
D. Kim first travelled by train to see his grandparents.
37. Which of the following statements is true?
A. Kim got scared by the train.
B. Kim’s sister did not want to get on the train.
C. Kim got on the train after his sister.
D. Kim did not sit by the window when he got on the train.
38. Kim was excited by the train because it_______
A. was a steam train
B. made a lot of noise
C. was going up a mountain
D. created smoke
39. Read the following events. Which is last in the sequence?
A. Kim visits his grandparents.
B. Kim gets on the train.
C. Lots of people get on and off the train.
D. Kim looks at the scenery.
40. Choose the correct meaning of the word “beckon’ as used in the passage.
SPOKEN AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION
FOR QUESTIONS 41 TO 45, CHOOSE THE MOST SUITABLE OPTION FOR EACH CONVERSATION.
41. Tanu: Ramesh’s behaviour today is very_______I wish he was always like this.
Mona: Yes, I agree.
42. Joy: Let’s go______the stairs to the top of the tower.
Rituraj: After you.
43. Rajan: I need _____less mess. I spend my precious time tidying.
C. to make
D. not made
44. Mother: Oh dear! I ___ _left my wallet in the shop we just went to.
Son: We should go and check.
B. should have
C. will have
D. must have
45. Rajni: How do you find the works of Latha?
Rashmi: I read the_____ book she wrote. It was not very good.
FOR QUESTIONS 46 AND 47, CHOOSE THE CORRECT WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
46. Jagan very successfully_____all the allegations levelled against him.
47. Mohini was______ when her window flew open in the middle of the night.
A. dump hit
B. terror fit
C. scared stiff
48. CHOOSE THE CORRECT SYNONYM OF
THE GIVEN WORD.
49. CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANTONYM OF THE GIVEN WORD.
50. CHOOSE THE CORRECT OPTION TO COMPLETE THE CONVERSATION.
Amit: I can’t find my school blazer. Please help me!
Biva: I think I know where it is___________ Let me answer the phone first.
A. You’ll be patient
B. Just hang on for a moment
C. Give me a chance
D. Don’t hang in there