Free Download for IEO English Olympiad 2015 sample papers for Class 7 from Kidpid.com. Try to solve previous year question paper and increase your chances to qualify for 2nd level English Olympiad Exam. Remember more you practice, more marks you will get in Olympiad exam.
IEO Previous Year Question Paper for Class 7 (2015, Set B)
WORD AND STRUCTURE KNOWLEDGE
FOR QUESTIONS 1 TO 17, CHOOSE THE CORRECT WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
Potato chips are____
1. My aunty___in hospital. She has a bad back.
A. was being treated
B. were being treated
C. is being treated
D. can be treated
2. During the night, the police___stop you to ask some questions and to see your ID card.
A. ought to
3. Last night the police said that they_____ the missing boy. He was missing for three days.
A. had found
C. were finding
D. has found
4. I arranged to meet Raju at the sports complex this morning, but he didn’t__ up.
5. It is very expensive to travel by___taxi so we go by bus.
D. no article
6. If you need any more pens, I’ll bring you the___ you like.
7. Exercising early in the morning is very____. It keeps me alert all day.
A. thought provoking
8. Do you know that the first e-mail was____in 1971?
C. being sent
9. Last night there was a bad storm. The wind to speed____ ninety kilometres an hour.
A. were reached
B. were reaching
D. was reaching
10. If you study hard, you_____
A. will get good grades
B. got good grades
C. getting good grades
D. will good grades
11. If my cousin passes her exams next month, her father_____ very happy.
B. will be
C. going to be
D. has been
12. Anil : “Have you seen Romila anywhere?”
Dan : “I saw her this morning but not since.
She’s__gone to the library.”
13. There was very___ grass left because of the drought. The cows had nothing to eat.
14. ___you think about it, you will make the right decision.
15. Sam : “Hey that’s Rani’s bicycle. Did you buy it from her?”
Bev : “Yes we____ a nd I exchanged my guitar with her bicycle.”
A. got a bargain
B. struck a deal
C. tried it on
16. Isabel was____ with her results and her face glowed with pride.
17. I___lift a lot of weight because I’ve hurt my back while playing.
A. can’t able to
B. able to
FOR QUESTIONS 18 AND 19, CHOOSE THE PART OF THE SENTENCE THAT HAS AN ERROR.
A. The palace
B. must have costs
C. more than
D. five billion dollars to build.
A. The government
B. has been
C. up to debt
D. for a long time.
A. She was
B. looking for
C. a job
D. a few year back.
FOR QUESTIONS 20 AND 21, HOW MANY WORDS ARE MISSPELT IN THE SENTENCES GIVEN BELOW?
It’s not acceptable to be rude in class as it can hamper achievement.
20. The newspaper reported their beleif in material posessions.
21. The maintenance comittee demanded a receipt for the work done.
FOR QUESTIONS 22 TO 28, READ THE SHORT STORY AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW
After another long year, this time when the summer holidays began, Mala and her family decided to go to a beach for a vacation. You can’t imagine how thrilled Mala was, but her brother was a bit unsure. He wanted to go skiing instead to sun himself. This was their first time on a beach and when Mala saw the sea she took off her pink sandals and ran on the sweltering sand.
She tiptoed into the water, giggling as a wave washed her legs. Her brother kept pulling her back because he was scared that she might fall. She looked back at the big red and blue umbrella and waved at her mother, who was sitting under the umbrella with her little hanky over her head trying to keep herself cool. Her mother smiled and waved signaling her to push a bit more and go further into the water.
A huge wave came and swept Mala’s feet, making her collapse into the water like loose sand. She tried to scream but swallowed a gulp of salty water instead. She didn’t know which way was up and which was down. Her sweeping hand touched something with a tiny claw in the sand. She imagined that to be a crab or some other sea creature, which made Mala even more scared. She screamed bubbles and tried hard to swim.
The wave receded, dumping the startled girl upon the soft, wet beach. Mala coughed and rubbed her eyes, struggling to get back up. Grains of sand in her blue swimsuit scratched her skin. She looked back toward her mother, who was standing up with a worried frown partly covered by the hanky. Mala ran back to the big umbrella, tiptoeing through the hot sand. She smelled of salt and seaweeds. She took her mother’s big, warm hand with her cold, wet one. “Come play with me in the waves, mommy! This is the best vacation ever!”
22. Who wanted to go to the mountains?
B. The family
23. The sand was____
24. Why did Mala fall into the water?
A. Her brother pulled her down.
B. Loose sand made her slip.
C. A big wave hit her.
D. Her mother pushed her in.
25. How did Mala feel when she was under the water?
A. Mala was very excited and thrilled.
B. She was amazed to see the fish.
C. This was a completely new experience.
D. Mala was very frightened and unsure.
26. How did Mala come out of the water?
A. By screaming and calling for help.
B. She swam very hard in spite of the sand.
C. When the wave went back she got out.
D. Her mother came to help her out.
27. Was Mala enjoying her holidays?
A. She was having a fantastic time and she loved it.
B. Mala was having a tough time with the waves.
C. The hot sand and salty water bothered her.
D. She enjoyed playing with her mother more.
28. What did Mala do in the end?
A. She asked to go back home because she was cold.
B. Mala invited her mother to come into the water.
C. She went and hugged her mother tightly.
D. Mala ran to the umbrella and sat under
FOR QUESTIONS 29 TO 35, READ THE PASSAGE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW
The solitary sun bear, smallest member of the global bear family, lives an insular life in the dense lowland forests of southeast Asia. Found from southern China to eastern India and as far south as Indonesia, sun bears, also called Malayan sun bears, take their name from the bib-shaped golden or white patch on their chest, which legends say represents the rising sun. They have a stocky, muscular build, small ears, and a short muzzle, which has earned them the nickname “dog bear”.
Their sleek, black coat is short to avoid overheating in the tropical weather but thick and coarse to provide protection from twigs, branches, and rain. Sun bears grow to only about half the size of an American black bear. Males, slightly larger than females, are about five feet (1.5 metres) in length and weigh up to 150 pounds (70 kilograms). They have been observed making sleeping platforms high above the ground out of branches and leaves. Ironically, sun bears are nocturnal.
They lumber through the forests by night, snacking on fruits, berries, roots, insects, small birds, lizards, and rodents. They have an excellent sense of smell and extremely long claws, exceeding four inches in length, which they use to rip open trees and termite nests. They also have an almost comically long tongue for extracting honey from bee nests, giving them their other nickname, “honey bear”.
Mother bears, called sows, make ground nests and give birth to one or two blind, helpless babies that weigh about 11 ounces (325 grams). Mothers have actually been observed cradling a cub in their arms while walking on their hind legs, a rare trait among bears. Cubs can move about after two months, but they remain with their mothers for two years or more. Adult females are frequently killed so their cubs can be taken and raised as pets.
29. Sun bears are the smallest bears in_______
A. the world
B. their own family
C. southeast Asia
D. southern China
30. Sun bears are called that because they_____
A. have a spot on their chest
B. have a round head
C. are found in the east
D. represent the rising sun than the
31. American black bears are sun bears in size.
32. Male sun bears can grow up to______feet in height.
33. Sun bears hunt____
A. during the night
B. during the day
C. day and night
D. at noon
34. Sun bears are____
35. Mother bears make their nest______
A. high above the ground
B. on leaves and branches
C. on the ground
D. with honey beehive
SPOKEN AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION
FOR QUESTIONS 36 TO 45, CHOOSE THE BEST RESPONSE FOR THE GIVEN SITUATION.
Steve : “I live in a big city.”
Jill : “___
A. I live near the park
B. So do I
C. I also
D. My house is big
36. Gagan : “We have practiced hard and are focused but do you think we’ll win?”
Alan : “____
A. Practice makes one perfect
B. It’s part and parcel of the game
C. Either we win or they will win
D. I think we’re in with a chance
37. Teacher : “Yesterday we were talking about dinosaurs. Did you find out anything more about them at home?”
Student : ______
A. A friend of mine has borrowed my book
B. Sure, I can supply some more evidence
C. Yes, I think I can contribute a bit more
D. You are right, we were talking about them
38. Beth : “What if Nirupa hadn’t turned up with the umbrella the other night?”
A. Oh God, when I think of her my heart sinks.
B. No way, seriously Nirupa will do that to you?
C. She could have turned around and gone home.
D. We all would have got drenched completely.
39. Library attendant : “Dear member, we are closing down the library. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. Your membership will be returned.”
You :“ ______”
A. I would be grateful if my money was refunded.
B. Give my money back immediately, or else
C. That is nonsense. The library was open yesterday.
D. Why are you talking about library closing?
40. School principal : “From now on, you will not have any playtime in the morning. Agreed?”
Head girl : “________
A. You can’t be serious! That’s absurd.
B. That’s ridiculous.
C. I’m afraid we can’t agree with you there.
D. I totally disagree. Why are you doing this?
41. Ali : “Chris says he doesn’t want to talk to you any more.”
Will : “______ I never liked him in any case.”
A. Clearly, he was in the wrong
B. Frankly, I couldn’t care less
C. Fortunately, he still chats
D. Apparently, he is in trouble
42. “How are you doing? We are going to the cinema next week______I’ll book the tickets.”
A. You want to come? It’ll be a lot of fun
B. It will be our pleasure if you could come
C. We all will be delighted if you join us
D. We would be grateful if you come with us
43. John : “Where’s your dog? Haven’t seen her in a long time.”
Tom : “She was too old and very sick.
______ I miss her very much.”
A. We had to take her out
B. We had to put up with her
C. She put me up to it all
D. We had to put her down
44. Wedding invitation : We request the pleasure of your company at our daughter’s wedding.
Your response :_______
A. Great! See you there then. Cheers
B. Thank you so much for inviting us
C. Brill. Food, music and dance, Cool man
D. Thanks for calling us. We were waiting
45. Rani : “Can you believe it? Salma said, “I have never used Sheila’s pen.”
Sheila : “_______”
A. Really. I don’t believe you. You have used my pen
B. Salma reported that my pen was being used
C. Sure. I don’t know if she has ever used anything
D. What? She denied ever having used my pen
FOR QUESTIONS 46 AND 47, CHOOSE THE CORRECT WORD/PHRASE TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
46. If I_____ _____she was in hospital, I would have gone to visit her. How is she now?
B. known then
C. had known
D. known that
47. There’s no power so I can’t watch the match on TV but it_______started by now, I guess.
C. would have
48. CHOOSE THE PART OF THE SENTENCE THAT HAS AN ERROR.
A. You should
B. retain copy
C. of the bus ticket
D. until next month.
FOR QUESTIONS 49 AND 50, CHOOSE THE BEST RESPONSE FOR THE GIVEN SITUATION.
49. Mandy : “Did you try to find out what happened in the end? Were they lying?”
Perry :“ ___________”
A. Yes, I went to great lengths to discover the truth
B. The story was too long and very boring
C. As usual it’s always the same happy ending
D. I researched a lot and met a lot of new people
50. Phone company manager : I am writing to inform you that your new phone connection will be active from next week.
Your reply :_______________
A. Thanks for telling me that. It’ll be cool when I can chitchat
B. I was not expecting a letter from you about that. Next week, ok
C. Hi, How’s it going? You ok? See you next week then
D. Thank you for your letter informing me about the activation