IEO Previous Year Question Paper for Class 7 (English Olympiad 2014, SET A)
Free Download for IEO English Olympiad 2014sample papers for Class 7 from Kidpid.com. Try to solve previous year question paper and increase your chances to qualify for 2nd level English Olympiad Exam. Remember more you practice, more marks you will get in Olympiad exam.
IEO Previous Year Question Paper for Class 7 (2014, Set B)
WORD AND STRUCTURE KNOWLEDGE
FOR QUESTIONS 1 TO 7, Choose The Best Word To Complete Each Sentence.
Denim jeans have been____ fashion for a decade now.
1. Alexander decided to give______year’s books to the orphan.
2. We had to wade___ to the shore.
3. They heard the referee_ __off the game as soon as it started raining.
4. We have ordered ___cake so everyone will be able to have a second helping.
A. not much
B. considerable amount of
C. considerable amount
5. My mother is___my uncle.
A. generous than
B. more generous
C. most generous
D. more generous than
6. When Ben gave his job to start a business, everyone thought he was crazy.
7. If I won the lottery, I ___ cruise.
B. would be able
C. would like
D. would to
FOR QUESTIONS 8 AND 9, CHOOSE THE BEST WORD FROM THE OPTIONS TO REPLACE THE WORD IN BOLD.
Ramon embraced his friend warmly at the station.
8. The team trudged up the mountains with great difficulty, after a long hot day.
A. Walked heavily upwards
B. Walked fast upwards
C. Walked barefoot upwards
D. Walked lightly upwards
9. She remembers vividly, the first time she held her baby in her arms.
CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE IDIOM.
10. It was a __ to swallow, when she lost the elections.
A. bitter pill
B. sour grape
C. slow truth
D. sour capsule
FOR QUESTIONS 11 TO 13, CHOOSE THE PART OF THE SENTENCE THAT HAS AN ERROR.
A. I use to
B. eat a lot of
C. junk food
D. when I was a child
A. the teacher
B. was satisfy
C. with our daughter’s progress
D. during this term
A. i does
B. come to
C. the center of town
D. once in a while
A. This was
B. going to be
C. his first visit to the zoo
D. and he wanted to make the best
FOR QUESTIONS 14 TO 17, CHOOSE THE BEST OPTION TO COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE.
Peter___her a kiss as he walked up the plank of the ship and she stood crying there.
14. The Taj Mahal is a____monument on the banks of the river Yamuna.
15. The manager refused____him leave for next Friday.
A. to grant to
B. and granted
C. granting for
D. to grant
16. She___the carrots, diced the boiled potatoes and sliced the cucumbers for the salad.
17. Scientists have finally____for happiness.
FOR QUESTIONS 18 TO 21, MATCH THE SENTENCES WITH THE WORDS GIVEN BELOW.
18. “Watch out! There is a pothole.”_____
19. “Turn right to reach Parliament House.”_____
20. “Could you open the door for me?”______
21. “I think you should go to a doctor as you’ve been unwell more than a week now.”____
A. A caution
B. A request
C. An announcement
D. A suggestion
Answer 18: A
Answer 19: C
Answer 20: B
Answer 21: D
FOR QUESTIONS 22 AND 23, HOW MANY WORDS ARE MISSPELT IN THE SENTENCES GIVEN BELOW?
Anne approached the windowpain with steady steps.
22. Overall, it has been notised that the saddest people live the shortest.
23. Its long been known that education is not only knowing how to read and vright.
FOR QUESTIONS 24 TO 27, CHOOSE THE RIGHT ANSWER TO COMPLETE THE SENTENCE.
Anne’s __ approach to life troubled her mother.
24. Brain scans have____ that business acumen is related with childhood experiences.
25. The walls of New York city are ___with graffiti.
26. Teacher : “People are___ to learn a new language.”
B. often times
27. The use of mobile phones is ___ in most educational institutes.
D. none of the above
FOR QUESTIONS 28 TO 33, READ THE PASSAGE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW
Ancient Egypt is known for its Sphinx and Pyramids. However, it is also gaining popularity about the kind of leadership structure that it followed. Egyptian economy was based on agriculture and therefore the floods would cause great havoc in the country. The most powerful people in the country in this kind of scenario were not the king and queen, but the priests.
They conducted the most elaborate ceremonies, either to pray for rains, or to stop floods. The decorative and extravagant rituals were conducted by the priests to gain immense power over the common man. They also used several different kinds of myths and symbols to mystify the religion. A better way for the people of Egypt would have been to have measuring devices to know the fall and rise of the river Nile that affected their lives to such an extent. The lack of information for the citizens was the major reason for them to have depended on the priests.
28. What is Egypt attaining a reputation for?
- Leadership structure
A. 1 and 2
B. 3 and 4
C. Only 1
D. Only 4
29. Which word in the passage means ‘ornamental, pretty and attractive’?
30. As stated in the passage, the priests were_____
A. the principal character
B. money minded
C. great leaders
D. extremely powerful
31. Which of the options can replace the word ‘myth’ as used in the passage?
32. According to the passage, which of the following sentences is true?
A. The people of Egypt liked depending on the priests.
B. The lack of information made the people depend on the priests.
C. The people of Egypt were keen to perform elaborate ceremonies.
D. The people of Egypt knew how to study the river Nile.
33. The word “elaborate’ as used in the passage can be replaced by____
FOR QUESTIONS 34 TO 39, READ THE PASSAGE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT FOLLOW.
Children can learn to be charitable, giving and magnanimous from a very young age. Holidays are the perfect time not only for family bonding but also narrowing down on your favorite charities and giving to them. The commonest things that people end up doing on holidays are travel, visit friends and family, eat and celebrate. However, the positive side to festivities and celebrations is the ability to be able to give back to our communities and the less privileged.
Every parent has a responsibility to instill in their children, the need to be charitable and kind. This can be done throughout the year, by being role models for their children. By doing this, the parent not only helps the society at large, but also their children. Children who are giving have been known to have a high self esteem and are extremely confident. They are more assertive and able to question what is happening around them. It also helps them to be grateful and appreciate all the good things that they have. To optimize results, start when your children are as young as 2 years!
34. The author feels that holidays are the perfect time to be_____
35. The author feels that it is only the parent’s responsibility to teach how to be kind. This sentence is_____
B. not mentioned
C. a falsehood
36. The author’s opinion is that to get the best results, start_____
A. when children are young
B. when children are just born
C. when children are two years
D. at any time
37. According to the author, the best thing about festivities is the ability to_____
A. give back to society
B. have fun
D. be with family and friends
38. What does the author say about parents?
A. They have a huge responsibility.
B. They are the caretakers.
C. They have to be role models.
D. They love their children.
39. What does the author feel about children who are magnanimous?
- They are more assertive.
- They have the best view in the world.
- They are confident.
- They grow up to be successful.
A. 1 and 3
B. 1, 2 and 4
C. 2 and 4
D. 1 and 4
SPOKEN AND WRITTEN EXPRESSION
FOR QUESTIONS 40 TO 45, CHOOSE THE BEST OPTION FOR THE GIVEN SITUATIONS.
Ann: “Have you invited Robert?” Bob: “___”
A. I forgot to invite him
B. Let me just check
C. It slipped my mind
D. All of the above
40. You have just entered a restaurant and the waiter approaches you. What will you tell him?
A. “Can I have the menu please?’
B. “What’s the speciality for today?’
C. “Do you serve chicken?’
D. “Do you have any free table?’
41. Jack: “Could you look after my pet for an hour please, while I’m away?” Jane: “____”
A. Absolutely not!
B. No way!
C. I’ll do it later.
D. Sure, I’d love to.
42. Amanda is writing a letter to her aunt, Victoria. How will she begin her letter?
A. Dear Victoria,
B. Dearest aunt,
C. Honourable aunt,
D. Dear Ms. Victoria,
43. Shopper: “I wonder if you have these shoes in size 6.”
Shop assistant: “____ I’ll check the stock.”
A. What’s the hurry!
B. Could you wait like the others?
C. Could you please wait for a moment?
D. I need some time, wait.
44. In a meeting:
Speaker 1: “I think this product will sell well in the market.”
Speaker 2: “ _____”
A. I fully agree to you
B. I think same too
C. I’m fully agreeable
D. I agree with you
45. Which is the best way to end an email?
A. Best Regards
D. Best regards
CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE IDIOM.
46. He’s the captain of our school, but is not able to manage things. We think he has______ than he can chew.
A. eaten more
B. cooked much more
C. bitten off more
D. swallowed more
CHOOSE THE BEST OPTION TO COMPLETE THE SENTENCE.
47. It is_____ that the Egyptians knew all about cultivation.
D. to believe
CHOOSE THE PART OF THE SENTENCE THAT HAS AN ERROR.
A. Her mother
B. is keen on
C. sending her
D. at university.
FOR QUESTIONS 49 AND 50, CHOOSE THE BEST OPTION FOR THE GIVEN SITUATIONS.
49. Samantha: “You look worried! What’s on your mind?”
Prem: “______really unnerves me!”
A. I’m not in favor,
B. Going to the dentist
C. Sorry, I am busy
D. What a pity, I hate this
50. “Hi, I’m Susan.”
A. Myself Ram.
B. Fine, thank you.
C. Are you fine?
D. I’m Ram.