Write Plural Nouns Printable Worksheets for Grade 1
Most of the sentences that we speak or write in the English language has a noun in it. The noun is the name of a place, person, or thing. It is the naming word. In English grammar, the noun is the first of the eight parts of speech taught to kids when they begin learning the language. There are several rules that one needs to keep in mind while working with nouns. One such scenario is the use of singular and plural nouns.
A singular form of a noun refers to a noun that is in the singular form. On the other hand, the plural form is used to refer to a noun if there is more than one instance of the noun.
There are several different rules regarding the pluralization of nouns depending on what letter a noun ends in. It is to be kept in mind that there are some nouns that remain the same in their plural form too. For an instance, the plural of Deer is Deer.
Following are the rules that one must follow to write a noun in its proper plural form.
- We add ‑s to the end to make regular nouns plural. Ex: Car – Cars.
- If the singular noun ends in ‑s, -ss, -sh, -ch, -x, or -z, add ‑es instead of -s to the end to make it plural. Ex: Bus – Busses
- If the noun ends with ‘‑f’ or ‘‑fe’, the f is often changed to ‑ve, and -s is added to form the plural version. Ex: Wolf – Wolves
- If a singular noun ends in ‑y and the letter before the’ -y’ is a consonant, we change the ending to ‑’ies’. Ex: City – Cities.
- If the noun ends in ‑o, we add ‑es to make it plural. Ex: Potato – Potatoes
- If the singular noun ends in ‑us, the plural is made by adding ‘‑i’ at the end. Ex: Cactus – Cacti
- If the singular noun ends in ‑is, the plural ending is ‑es. Ex: Analysis – Analyses
- If the singular noun ends in ‑on, the ending of the plural form of the noun is-a. Ex: Phenomenon – Phenomena
Plural Nouns Practice Worksheet
The worksheet contains several exercises for kids to practice and learn to write plural forms of common nouns. Students have to write the plural form of the nouns in the provided space.
It is a relatively easy exercise. Download the worksheet and get started with teaching your students now!